Planning & Zoning

If you need a reasonable accommodation regarding this website, contact the City Clerk at 863-452-4405 or

The City of Avon Park responds to questions and issues concerning planning and zoning in two ways.

Routine questions on property use, zoning requirements, and development planning are handled by the City Manager and City Clerk. The city answers questions and requests for interpretation by relying on the city's Land Development Code, the municipal code, and applicable ordinances.

Requests for zoning variances, approval of site developments, rezoning, special exceptions, and comprehensive plan changes require review by the city's Planning and Zoning Board/Board of Adjustment (P&Z Board). The P&Z Board meets on the second Tuesday of the month, when there is business before the board. For more information, contact the City Clerk at (863) 452-4405,  email:
123 E. Pine St, Avon Park

Matters before the board:

  1. Request for a Special Exception to operate a child care business at 506 E. Cornell St, in R1A zoning.
  2. Request for rezoning from I-2 (industrial) to Residential (R1A) at 1165 Memorial Dr.
  3. Request for small scale amendment to the Comprehensive Plan and site development approval. Adopting C-2 (Highway Commerical) at 2507 US 27 N, including approval of site development plan for placement of a structure on the currently vacant parcel.
  4. Request for variance to allow conversion of non-conforming portables to residential units at 956 W Hal McRae Blvd.
Any person who might wish to appeal any decision made by the City of Avon Park Planning and Zoning Board in public hearing or meeting is hereby advised that he will need a record of the proceedings, and for such purpose may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings is made which will include the testimony and evidence upon which such appeal is to be based. Anyone requiring reasonable accommodation should contact the city clerk at: 863-452-4505, email: